Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content

Family Tax Benefit Part B

4-minute read

What is Family Tax Benefit Part B?

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) is a 2-part payment paid to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children. Here is what you need to know about Family Tax Benefit Part B.

If you and your family are affected by COVID-19, you may be eligible for additional payments. Visit the Services Australia website for more information.

The Family Tax Benefit is made up of 2 parts:

  • Part A — a payment made per child, depending on the family’s circumstances
  • Part B — a payment made per family to give extra help to families that need it

Family Tax Benefit Part B gives extra help to single-parent families, non-parent carers and some families that only have one main income. It recognises that you may not be able to work due to your circumstances or the age of the child.

Family Tax Benefit Part B pays a maximum of $162.54 per fortnight for children under 5, and $113.54 per fortnight for children aged 5 to 18 (the child must be a full-time secondary student if they are aged 16 to 18). Payments are made either fortnightly or as a lump sum at the end of the financial year to your bank, credit union or building society account.

Family Tax Benefit Part B includes a supplement of up to $379.60 per family For the 2020-21 financial year and $383.25 per family for the 2021-22 financial year, which is paid after you and your partner have lodged your income tax returns at the end of the financial year, or told Services Australia if you are not required to lodge a tax return.

You might also be eligible for:

For more information about what you can claim, visit Centrelink’s Payment and Service Finder.

Who is eligible?

To receive Family Tax Benefit Part B:

  • You must have a Family Tax Benefit child (FTB child) in your care who is under the age of 13.
  • If you are a single parent, grandparent or non-parent carer, the child must be under 18 and must meet study requirements if they’re aged 16 to 18.
  • The family must care for the child at least 35% of the time.
  • The family must meet Australian residency requirements. If you leave Australia for more than 6 weeks, the payment may be affected.

The family must also meet certain income requirements:

  • If you are a couple with a youngest child who is under 13, or a grandparent or great-grandparent couple with a youngest child who is over 13, the highest income must be $100,900 per year or less. The payment will be calculated according to how much the partner with the lower income earns.
  • If you are a single parent, your income must be $100,900 per year or less.
  • You and your partner must lodge an income tax return or tell Services Australia if you are not required to lodge a return within the 12 months following the end of the relevant financial year.

You can’t receive FTB Part B while you’re receiving Parental Leave Pay.

To find out more about eligibility, visit the Services Australia website.

How to apply

The easiest way to claim is online. To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account, you’ll need to set them up.

If you can’t claim online you can either:

For more information on claiming Family Tax Benefit, visit Services Australia.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: September 2021

Back To Top

Need more information?

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.