Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content


Centrelink is delivered by the Australian Government Department of Human Services and supports people with payments and services at times of major change.

The Department of Human Services is responsible for the development of service delivery policy and provides access to social, health and other payments and services.

Centrelink delivers payments and services for retirees, the unemployed, families, carers, parents, people with disabilities, Indigenous Australians, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

Recommended links

This information was originally published on healthdirect - Centrelink.

Last reviewed: August 2018

Information from this partner

Found 13 results

Parents of children starting school - Services Australia

If you have a child starting school, this information is for you.

Read more on Centrelink website

Adopting a child - Services Australia

We have a range of payments and services to help parents care for their newly adopted child.

Read more on Centrelink website

Get information about Parenting Payment and Child Support - Services Australia

You may be able to get Parenting Payment and add your baby to a current child support assessment.

Read more on Centrelink website

Death and bereavement - Services Australia

We have payments, support and other services to help you when someone close to you dies.

Read more on Centrelink website

Assistance with child care fees - Services Australia

We offer payments to help with the cost of child care.

Read more on Centrelink website

Caring for someone with an illness or disability - Services Australia

You can get financial help and other services if you care for someone with a disability, an illness or who is frail aged.

Read more on Centrelink website

Payments for people living with an illness, injury or disability - Services Australia

There are payments and services to help if youre ill, injured or have disability.

Read more on Centrelink website

Submit your claim if you didnt do a pre-birth claim - Services Australia

If you didnt do a pre-birth claim you can start a claim after the birth of your baby.

Read more on Centrelink website

Register the birth of your baby - Services Australia

You must register the birth of your baby. This is a requirement by the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory.

Read more on Centrelink website

Enrol your baby in Medicare only - Services Australia

If you dont wish to claim for a families payment, youll need to submit proof of birth to enrol your baby in Medicare.

Read more on Centrelink website

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.