Download this guide as a PDF
View text version of infographic
Establish a bedtime routine
- a warm bath
- reading a bedtime story
- a breastfeed or bottle feed
- giving them a goodnight kiss and cuddle
- singing a lullaby or turning on some
- quiet music or a wind-up musical mobile
Signs your baby is tired
- Grimacing and frowning
- Grizzling, fussiness or crying
- Clenching their fists
- Rubbing their eyes
- Jerky movements and arching their back
Signs your baby is overtired
- Glazed eyes
- Quick to cry
If your baby is having problems sleeping, or if you need more advice about getting into a routine, speak to your doctor, midwife or child health nurse.
Want more like this?
See more guides and infographics from Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: August 2023