Labour is different for every woman and each pregnancy you may have. Here are some of the signs that let you know labour may be starting and baby is on the way.
Signs your labour may be starting
- Labour usually happen anytime from 37 weeks.
- Any earlier than this, call your doctor or midwife.
- Your waters may break.
- Pressure in your pelvis, loose bowel motions and period-like cramping in your back or tummy.
- Contractions will start and become more regular and stronger as your labour progresses.
- If you are not sure if your labour has started or concerned, call your doctor or midwife.
- Make sure your bag is packed ready to go to the hospital or birthing centre.
Speak to a maternal child health nurse
Call Pregnancy, Birth and Baby to speak to a maternal child health nurse on 1800 882 436 or video call. Available 7am to midnight (AET), 7 days a week.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: June 2022