Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content

Support for teenage parents

7-minute read

Key facts

  • There are many things to think about when you’re a teenage parent.
  • Stable and secure housing is a core need for you and your baby.
  • While continuing your education can be challenging, it’s possible if you know what’s available.

If you're a teenager who is a parent, there are many things to think about. Things you might be thinking about are:

  • having somewhere to live
  • supporting your baby
  • finishing your education

How do I continue with my schooling?

While continuing education can be challenging, it’s possible if you know what options are available.

Schools should provide support to help pregnant teenagers and young parents complete their studies. Your school may be able to adapt:

  • the way they teach you
  • the way they assess you
  • any uniform or dress codes
  • the hours you need to attend

These changes can help to make sure you are able to continue your education. They can happen while you’re pregnant and once you have your baby.

A small number of high schools provide childcare centres or support programs for pregnant and parenting young people.

Speak to someone you trust — such as a member of staff, the school counsellor or your doctor.

What other education options are there?

If you'd rather not attend a mainstream school, you have other options to choose from, such as:

  • Home schooling — where your parent is responsible for conducting learning activities, setting assessments and monitoring your progress.
  • Distance education — allows you to study at home, usually via enrolling and accessing lessons online.
  • Alternative education centres — which may provide on-campus childcare or areas where you can study and feed your baby.
  • Vocational education and training providers — such as TAFE, which offer education and training in a wide range of areas.

It's worth trying to continue with your education, as it has many long-term benefits — including job options and financial security.

A good education will help you to support yourself and your child. It also allows you to connect with other people and feel less lonely.

How do I find somewhere to live?

Stable and secure housing is a core need for you and your baby.

If you are able to stay with your parents, consider doing so. This may help you deal with the daily pressures of looking after your child. It also means that you'll be in a better physical and emotional state to work or study.

If you are at risk of becoming homeless or need extra financial support, Centrelink offers Rent Assistance. This is financial help for people who pay rent and receive a Centrelink payment.

How do I find a job?

The government Job Hunting website can help you find work.

Money management

It can be helpful to know what your main expenses will be such as:

  • food
  • housing
  • bills
  • clothing
  • health
  • transport
  • childcare

This can help you manage these expenses and reduce stress.

The government also offers a range of services to help you budget and manage your money:

What financial support can I get from the government?

One of the biggest concerns as a young parent is around having enough money to care for your child and for yourself.

Your financial situation will depend on your circumstances — whether you are supported by your family and/or partner or are earning an income.

It’s a good idea to check whether you are entitled to any payments from the government.

Parenting support

The government offers a variety of payments to parents through Centrelink, including:

Contact Centrelink 3 months before the birth of your baby, as you may need to wait before getting any money.

Call the Centrelink Families Line on 136 150 (Mon to Fri, 8am to 8pm) to get started. They can help you find out whether you are eligible for any of these payments.

Other payments

You may be eligible for other payments that are not related to your baby. Check with Centrelink for other benefits that apply to your situation, such as:

Other useful services that can help you manage your bills and government payments are:

  • Centrepay — a service you can use to pay your bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.
  • Rent Deduction Scheme — a service you can use to pay your public housing rent straight from your Centrelink payments.

Resources and support

Being a parent can feel overwhelming, but remember, you don't have to go through it alone.

The Young Pregnant & Parenting Network has resources on policies and services in different states and territories.

Teenagers and young adults aged 18 to 25 years can call the Kids helpline on 1800 55 1800, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They also have email and chat support options.

Call Pregnancy, Birth and Baby to speak to a maternal child health nurse on 1800 882 436 or video call. Available 7am to midnight (AET), 7 days a week.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: September 2023

Back To Top

Need more information?

Teen parents: benefits, challenges & tips | Raising Children Network

Teenage parents face similar ups and downs to older parents. But parenting as a teenager does have special challenges, including finishing your education.

Read more on website

Teenage pregnancy

Being a teenager and finding out you are pregnant can put enormous stress on a young person and their family so it’s important to be supportive.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Creating a family budget

Creating a family budget can help you manage your finances and spend less time worrying about money. This page will guide you through the steps.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Supporting your child's wellbeing during separation or divorce - Emerging Minds

Get advice from other parents, health professionals and research about supporting your child's wellbeing during a separation or divorce.

Read more on Emerging Minds website

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.