Nursery checklist - text version
Use this handy guide to get your baby’s nursery set up before they arrive.
For the first 6 months, your baby should sleep by your side in a bassinet in your bedroom.
Cot and mattress
The mattress should be firm and fit very snuggly. You'll also need a couple of fitted sheets and a waterproof mattress protector. Do not use pillows or quilts.
Any firm surface will do for getting your baby changed, but a change table can be really useful to have everything you need stored in the one place and also is usually the ideal height.
Chest of drawers
It won't take long for you to have a stack of clothes for your baby.
Clothing and accessories
- 6 jumpsuits (all-in-ones) for the day
- 2 nightdresses or jumpsuits for the night
- 2 cardigans or jackets (for winter) - light wool or cotton
- 6 singlets
- 3 tops
- couple of cotton hats
- few pairs of socks
- sun hat for outside
- 4 sets of cotton sheets (preferably fitted)
- 3 cotton blankets (for winter) or muslin wraps (for summer)
- night light
- baby monitor
- bathtub (or you can use a regular bath or kitchen sink!)
- baby towels (thinner and usually have a hood)
- face washers
Getting out of the house
- car seat - properly fitted and to Australian Standard
- nappy bag - stocked with all the essentials
- baby carrier
Call Pregnancy, Birth and Baby on 1800 882 436 to speak to a maternal child health nurse 7am to midnight (AEST), 7 days a week.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: November 2020