Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content

Maternity services in rural South Australia

5-minute read

If you are a pregnant and live in rural or remote South Australia, you can use the information on this page to find out how to get care and support during your pregnancy, labour and birth. You’ll also find links to websites where you can find out more information to suit your individual circumstances.

Your choice of caregivers

If you are a pregnant and live In rural and remote South Australia, you can often choose the type of health professional or team you would like to care for you during your pregnancy and at the birth.

Depending on where you live, you might have 4 choices:

  • There are publicly funded midwives, such as those in a midwifery group practice at the local hospitals or health centre. Some public hospital midwifery group practices also offer home birth services. For more information see Midwifery group practices in SA offering home birth.
  • An independent registered midwife, who might be covered by Medicare, can help you. There isn’t a lot of independent midwives in South Australia, but some might be willing to travel to care for you at home.
  • Your doctor might offer 'shared maternity care' along with the midwives and doctors at a local hospital.
  • A private obstetrician can care for you, at a public or private hospital.

It is best for you and your baby if you have the same caregiver throughout your pregnancy, birth and early parenting. To help choose what is best for you, see Types of care during pregnancy and birth in South Australia.

Where can I give birth?

Depending on where you live and whether your pregnancy is low or high risk, you might be able to choose the place you give birth in. Weigh up the decision with your partner, family and doctor or health professional. There are options.

  • In a public hospital, you will receive maternity care from hospital midwives and doctors. If medical care is needed It is usually free, with costs covered by Medicare. In some hospitals, your doctor may be able to share the care with hospital staff. Some public hospitals also provide private care, which means you can choose your own doctor or private obstetrician to care for you. However, you might need private health insurance to access the private care option. If you develop any complications or risk factors during pregnancy you may need to see specialist doctors and midwives in public hospitals at Berri, Mt Gambier, Port Lincoln, Whyalla or Adelaide.
  • A private hospital offers similar services, and some have birthing centre suites. But you’ll need private health insurance in place before you become pregnant to cover the cost. Some will not be able to care for you if you have complications, and will need to transfer you to a public hospital.
  • A home birth can be suitable for women with healthy low-risk pregnancies. You can be transferred to hospital during labour if complications arise or if you request it. Even when you have chosen to have a home birth, talk to your midwife or staff at your nearest hospital or health facility to find out what help you can get if you need it urgently. You might need to find out what road or air ambulance services are available. It may be wise to also make a back-up booking during pregnancy at the nearest large hospital. For more information on planned home birth in South Australia, see Planned home birth.

If your pregnancy is considered high risk, you will need to be close to a hospital that offers specialist services. Talk to your doctor or a midwife about this.

For information on the hospitals and health services in your area, see Regional hospitals and health services.

Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women

Birthing on Country

Birthing on Country is a program that encourages health services to offer Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women the chance to have a culturally appropriate birth. That will mean different things to different women in different parts of Australia. Ask your local midwife, Aboriginal health service, hospital, birthing centre or primary health network what is available where you live.

Travelling long distances to give birth?

If you need to travel a long distance to a hospital or health facility to give birth, you should plan ahead carefully. It’s less stressful and safer for you and your baby to be within an hour of a hospital that provides maternity care. Unfortunately, this might mean it’s difficult for you to stay at home towards the end of your pregnancy.

If you need to travel more than 100 km from home to access specialist care, you may be able to claim back some of your travel and accommodation expenses through the Patient Assistance Transport Scheme (PATS).

More information

At any time during your pregnancy, you can call Pregnancy, Birth and Baby on 1800 882 436 or try video call to speak face-to-face with one of our maternal child health nurses. Video call is available 7am to midnight (AEST), 7 days a week and is free of charge. To find out more, visit our video call page.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: December 2021

Back To Top

Need more information?

Rural and remote living

Find out what eHealth support, rural health services and other support services are available to you and your family living in the country and rural areas.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Rural issues - coping with stress - Better Health Channel

The effort of trying to provide for the family and keep the farm going can be intensely stressful.

Read more on Better Health Channel website

Parenting in the country

There are resources available for parents in the country. Find out more about the support networks, education, healthcare services accessible in rural areas.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Maternity services in rural Queensland

Find out what maternity services are available in rural or remote Queensland.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Maternity services in rural NSW

Find out what maternity services are available in rural or remote NSW

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Maternity services in rural Tasmania

Find out what maternity services are available in rural or remote Tasmania.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Financial support for rural families

Many families with children and babies live in rural and remote areas. Find out what financial assistance is available to families in the country.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Health services for rural families

Learn more about rural health services such as the Patient Assisted Travel scheme, telehealth, access to hospitals, pregnancy and childbirth care.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Rural child safety

Learn more about child safety on farms and rural properties such as water hazards, animal stings and bites and sun safety and what to do if your child is injured.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Education for rural families

Learn more about the options for education for your child in rural areas from childcare facilities and early learning programs to going to school.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.