Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content


6-minute read

Key facts

  • Co-parenting is when former partners share in raising their children.
  • This usually happens after a divorce or breakup.
  • It means both parents have a hands-on role in raising the kids.
  • When both parents co-operate and share responsibilities, kids do best.

How you can best help your kids

Co-parenting works better for kids if you:

  • live nearby to your former partner, in the same town or area
  • are consistent about rules and rewards
  • plan ahead for activities, holidays, and special events, such as birthdays
  • respect your child's right to form a relationship with the other parent
  • avoid angry or hurtful comments about your former partner

What the law says about co-parenting

Australia's Family Law Act says both parents are responsible for the care and welfare of their children. The law presumes it's best for most children if both parents:

  • co-operate
  • share equal, parental responsibility

To find out about services to help families manage relationship issues, visit Family Relationships Online. They can also provide advice to helping families agree on care arrangements for children after parents separate.

Writing a parenting plan or consent order

For co-parenting to work, it's best to write a parenting plan. This is an agreement between you and your former partner. It doesn't involve going to court.

The parenting plan details:

  • how you will share parenting responsibilities
  • who the kids will live with
  • the amount of time to be spent with each parent
  • holidays and special events
  • decision-making guidelines
  • education
  • health care
  • financial care

A parenting plan is not legally enforceable.

If you want a legally binding document, you and your former partner can prepare a written consent order. This is similar to a parenting plan. It covers parenting and financial arrangements for your kids. However, it's enforceable by the courts. A consent order needs to be approved by the court, but neither parent needs to attend court.

Contact the Family Law National Enquiry Centre on 1300 352 000 (apart from Western Australia) or email for more information. In Western Australia, contact the Family Court of WA direct.

Child support payments

A binding child support agreement is an agreement between both parents about child support payments. It can be made through Services Australia for any amount that you both agree on. It might include cash payments or non-cash payments such as school fees. Each parent should get legal advice before entering into the agreement.

You can also apply for a child support assessment. This tells you how much child support you should pay or receive. It's based on both of your incomes and family circumstances.

Resolving disputes

Family relationship centres

If you can't agree on a parenting plan, you can get help from:

These options are cheaper, easier, and less stressful than going to court. You can call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 for information.

Family Court

The next step is to seek legal advice and get a 'court parenting order' or a 'financial order'. This is a plan made for you by the courts. Before applying for a parenting order, you should attend family dispute resolution.

The main courts dealing with parenting orders or financial orders are the:

  • Family Court of Australia
  • Family Court of Western Australia

In rural areas, family disputes can be handled by local or magistrates' courts.

You can go straight to the Family Court for a parenting order (without first trying dispute resolution) if:

  • your child might be at risk of abuse or domestic violence by your former partner
  • you or your former partner cannot co-parent due to physical or mental illness
  • you or your former partner cannot participate in co-parenting due to location
  • the matter is very urgent

You can also go straight to court if your family dispute can't be solved, as:

  • your former partner refuses to negotiate
  • your former partner refuses to follow existing orders

Where can I get more information about co-parenting?

You can call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 for information and advice.

Find out more about:

Speak to a maternal child health nurse

Call Pregnancy, Birth and Baby to speak to a maternal child health nurse on 1800 882 436 or video call. Available 7am to midnight (AET), 7 days a week.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: October 2022

Back To Top

Need more information?

Stepfamilies - Better Health Channel

Becoming part of a stepfamily involves adjusting to a number of changes.

Read more on Better Health Channel website

Step Families: Supporting your Children as Families are Blended and Living Arrangements Change

We have just introduced our children to their new stepfamily/ies. What is the best way to support them as they adjust to so much change?

Read more on Australian Child and Adolescent Trauma, Loss and Grief Network (ACATLGN) website

Blended families and step-parents

Blended families are formed when parents form a new relationship and move in together. Given time, energy and care, blended families can work well.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

About blended families | Raising Children Network

Blended families come in all shapes and sizes. And there are great things about being in a blended family, as well as some challenges. Read more.

Read more on website

Support options for single parents - ReachOut Parents

No one needs to do it alone. Here are some support options that can help you and your child.

Read more on website

Managing a toddler and a baby - Ngala

Pregnancy and the birth of a new baby can stir up many different feelings for parents and other family members

Read more on Ngala website

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.