With a focus on improving the lives of all carers, Carers NSW provides information, support, education, training, referrals and resources for the diversity of carers across NSW.
Carers are friends, partners or family members who provide support to someone who lives with disability, mental illness, drug and/or alcohol dependency, a chronic condition, terminal illness or who is frail due to age.
There are approximately 2.65 million carers across Australia (about 11% of the population), including 854,300 carers in NSW. Carers exist in all communities and come from all walks of life. cultural backgrounds and age groups. Hidden carers often do not identify as a carer or seek support for themselves.
Young carers are children and young people under the age of 25 years.
Carers NSW is a not-for-profit registered charity and company limited by guarantee. Carers NSW receives funding from a range of sources including the NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) and the Australian Government Department of Social Services (DSS).
Vision and mission
The vision of Carers NSW is an Australia that values and supports all carers.
Carers NSW engages with carers and stakeholders across the State to provide support and to build sector capacity. Carers NSW goals are to:
- Be a leading carer organisation in which carers have confidence
- Actively promote carer recognition and support
- Actively support carers to navigate a changing service landscape that will be characterised by ongoing policy reform
- Promote connected community experiences and opportunities for carers that are inclusive of diverse carer groups
- Lead and advocate for carer-specific and carer-inclusive policy making, research and service delivery
- Continue to be a quality-driven, responsive and carer-focused organisation.
How Carers NSW can help
Services provided by Carers NSW include:
- Support and referral services
- Education and training
- Resources and information
- Young Carer Program
- NDIS support coordination
- Research, policy and advocacy
- Carer Gateway service provider in NSW 4 region.
Information and helpline
- Visit Carers NSW or call 02 9280 4744 9am to 5pm, Mon to Fri (AEST)
- Visit Carer Gateway or call 1800 422 737 8am to 5pm, Mon to Fri
- Call 1800 422 737 to make an appointment with the Carer Gateway National Carers Counselling Program, Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm AEST. Counselling is offered face-to-face, via telephone, email and Skype, or in a group