ARPANSA deals with both ionising and non-ionising radiation. Common sources of ionising radiation include X-rays, CT scans and naturally occurring radioactive materials. Common sources of non-ionising radiation include the sun, mobile phones, base stations and power lines.
Vision and mission
- protect the public, workers and the environment from radiation exposure
- ensure radiological and nuclear safety and security and emergency preparedness
- promote the effective use of ionising radiation in medicine
- ensure effective and proportionate regulation and enforcement activities.
How ARPANSA can help
ARPANSA regulates Commonwealth entities using radiation with the objective of protecting people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation.
They undertake research, provide services, and promote national uniformity and the implementation of international best practice across all jurisdictions.
ARPANSA does this by:
- Expertise - ARPANSA builds and maintains expertise in measurement of radiation and assessment of health impacts, including the assessment of risks and responses to radiation emergencies.
- Advice - they provide high quality advice to the government and the community on issues related to exposure and effects of radiation, radiation protection and nuclear safety.
- Regulation - they use licensing powers and work with Commonwealth entities to ensure the safety of radiation facilities, using a risk-informed regulatory approach.
- Best Practice - they lead the development of codes, standards, guides and advice to support radiation protection and nuclear safety throughout Australia, and play a prominent role in relevant international organisations.
- Services - ARPANSA offers high quality services for the purpose of protection against the harmful effects of radiation.
- Research - they undertake research and development, and build strategic partnerships with relevant national and international academic and research organisations.
Information / help lines
- Call 1800 022 333 Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm AEST, or email: email@example.com