Expressed breast milk can be kept in the fridge or freezer. Find out how long you can keep expressed breast milk and how to safely defrost and heat.
How long can breast milk be kept - and where?
In the fridge for no more than 3 days, in the freezer section for up to 3 months, or in a deep freeze for up to 12 months.
How do I store breast milk?
Breast milk can be stored in sterilised glass or plastic containers, including sealable plastic bags.
Tips on storing
- Breast milk kept in the fridge can be frozen after 2 days
- Write the date and time the milk was expressed
- Always use a sterlised container
Tips on reheating
- Defrost in the fridge, then use straight away
- Don’t refreeze once thawed
- Warm the bottle of milk in warm water, not in the microwave
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: September 2020