Need to talk? Call 1800 882 436.
It's a free call with a maternal child health nurse. *call charges may apply from your mobile

Is it an emergency? Dial 000
If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately.

beginning of content

Disability financial support

3-minute read

There are many support options available for you if your child has a disability. You will need to apply for any financial help, as assistance is not automatically provided. Knowing what support is available and how you can access it can make caring for your child easier.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme provides support if your child has a significant and permanent disability. The aim is to work with your child as an individual and give you choice about support. The NDIS is available across Australia, and is rolling out in Western Australia. Find out if the scheme is available in your area and if your child is eligible.

If you are receiving Better Start payments, these are transitioning to the NDIS. You should contact the NDIS to see if your child is eligible, if you haven’t done so already, by calling 1800 800 110. If your child is eligible, Better Start funding will stop when they have an approved NDIS plan in place. If they are not eligible, they will continue to be supported under Better Start funding until the child turns 7, or when their funds are expended. There some differences in some states. You can find out more on the Better Start website.

Medicare offers a long list of rebates that may pay for some assessment and diagnosis sessions. You can find out more on the Medicare Benefits Schedule. The Government provides you with extra Medicare benefits if you’ve spent over a certain amount on medical costs in one calendar year, via the Medicare Safety Net. You may also be eligible for a Health Care Card, which gives discounts on prescription medication and concession prices on items like public transport tickets, taxi fares and utility bills.

There are also payments for carers, such as the Centrelink Carer Allowance, which supports people who care for a child with a disability at home. Both the carer and the child they are caring for must be eligible. The Carer Payment is an income and assets tested payment for those providing care for someone with a significant disability.

The Department of Education, Skills and Employment can contribute towards child care costs associated with providing extra care for your child because of their disability through the Inclusion Support Subsidy. Your childcare service needs to apply for this funding.

If your child is over 5 and has severe or permanent incontinence, you can get financial help from the Continence Aids Payments Scheme (CAPS). Payment is made by Medicare directly into your bank account.

State and territory governments

Financial support from state and territory governments includes aids and equipment programs to provide financial assistance for things like custom-made shoes or walking aids to help improve your child’s quality of life. Contact the Department of Health and Human Services in your state or territory.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: June 2020

Back To Top

Need more information?

Caring for a child with Down syndrome

When caring for a child with Down syndrome, you might face some challenges different to other parents.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

I have an NDIS plan | Novita

Now that you have an approved NDIS plan, it’s time to choose which provider you want to use, and where you want to spend your money.

Read more on Novita Children's Services website

Intellectual Disability | Novita

Intellectual disability is the most commonly recorded disability, occurring in about 3% of the population in Australia

Read more on Novita Children's Services website

Financial support for healthcare | Disability Gateway

Information and services to help people with disability, their family, friends and carers, to find the support they need in Australia

Read more on Disability Gateway website

Carers SA - Caring for Someone with a Disability

Read more on Carers SA website

Disability services & support | Raising Children Network

Need help with child disability services? Here are articles and videos about services and support, working with professionals, and early interventions.

Read more on website

Your feelings about your child's disability

Learn more about how to talk with others about your child’s disability, dealing with your feelings, educating others, and early intervention and next steps.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Working with disability professionals | Raising Children Network

If you have good partnerships with disability professionals and disability services, you can help your child with disability get the best possible support.

Read more on website

Child disability services & support: video | Raising Children Network

In this video, parents and child disability experts talk about disability services for children, funding, service providers, respite care and counselling.

Read more on website

Autism & disability services for children | Raising Children Network

Disability services can be confusing. Our guide to services for children with disability, autism and other additional needs helps you navigate the system.

Read more on website

Call us and speak to a Maternal Child Health Nurse for personal advice and guidance.

Need further advice or guidance from our maternal child health nurses?

This information is for your general information and use only and is not intended to be used as medical advice and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes.

The information is not a substitute for independent professional advice and should not be used as an alternative to professional health care. If you have a particular medical problem, please consult a healthcare professional.

Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, this publication or any part of it may not be reproduced, altered, adapted, stored and/or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of Healthdirect Australia.